Friday 4 September 2009

My first week in News and Media

Having just joined the News and Media team this week I thought it would be appropriate to blog about my experience so far. I soon realised after day 1 that the communications team is the hub of the University. There is so much going on here all the time, website development, press releases, generating pictures from events and answering the numerous phone calls for media enquiries, you never quite know what you might get asked.

I have been able to spend time with my various new team members learning the ropes of reddot, the image server, writing news stories and reading the assortment of newspapers that get delivered. They have been kind enough to introduce me to the office ‘rules’ which must be obeyed at all times, my favourites being ‘keep cake mountain stocked at all times’ we have enjoyed a selection of biscuits this week, and another being ‘don’t get Duncan started’ which I will take on board next week when he is back in the office.

I am really looking forward to my 5 month placement with the News and Media team. I will be working on raising the profile of volunteering within the University as well as working on internal communications. So 1 week in I’m having a great time and experiencing so much. I’m looking forward to reading about the Leeds Carnegie game next week and the follow up by the press, but more importantly getting involved in staff development, taking staff profiles and just being in the mixer in the Rosebowl meeting lots of people.

Ash