Wednesday 2 September 2009

Festeria

I’ve just spent the weekend behind the scenes at Leeds Festival through the University’s partnership with Festival Republic. I had an amazing time being behind the scenes at such a massive event which ran incredibly smoothly, especially when I could see first hand just how massive an operation it is. On Saturday night as I was walking between my temporary ‘home’ in the production area directly behind the main stage, it was funny to see staff battling to reinforce the fencing separating us and the heaving crowds rocking out to The Prodigy, who even from my limited view were brilliant.

People kept asking me what bands I’ve actually seen, but I only really stopped to watch The Gossip who were ace, and seen snippets of others and heard a lot more as I wandered round and round and round. I spent most of my time talking to our volunteers and staff working and performing there and battling technology to try and update the Leeds Met website from the Press tent where there were constant interviews going on with people that I didn’t quite recognise. In fact the only ‘celeb’ I had contact with was Ian Brown, thanks Rebekka for making me go up for a photo of him!

By my first day it felt like I’ve been here for years and walked a million miles. And I had it relatively easy, the volunteers were working long and intense shifts running stages, DJing through the night, pandering to bands bizarre whims and giving out information to the masses. Then there was Rebekka, Caroline, Laura and Patsy who seemed to constantly be doing circuits of the massive venue sorting stuff out by phone and walkie-talkie to ensure the volunteers were getting the best possible experience. Everyone I talked to was sleep deprived and aching all over but were incredibly friendly, upbeat and having a brilliant time.

There also seemed to be Leeds Met connections dotted all over the place on top of our 130+ volunteers, there were guests coming in on day tickets to see what we’re all up to, past and present students and staff on stage or milling around the guest area and arena and Leeds Met hoodies galore. It was great to bump in to people all over the place and see just how far and wide the University’s tentacles extend.

Having heard, read and written about the partnership since its formation it was eye-opening to be here and experience it myself and actually see it for myself. The students made a great impression and were trusted with really important roles giving them valuable experience that they will remember for the rest of their lives and, in many cases, will open doors for them.

You can see the Festival Republic volunteers blog, images and videos here.

Joyce